3 the eleventh month of the civil year; the fifth month of the ecclesiastical year in the Jewish calendar (in July and August) [syn: Av]
- abk (ISO 639-3)
- Rhymes with: -æb
Etymology 1Abbreviation of abdominal muscles.
Usage notesMore commonly used in the plural form abs.
- Finnish: vatsalihas
- French: abdo
Etymology 2Abbreviation of abscess.
an abscess caused by injecting an illegal drug
Etymology 3Abbreviations, see definitions.
- American Heritage 2000
- "ab" in Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, 2002.
EtymologyFrom ab, from .
- Beginning at that time or location; from.
- ab heute verfügbar (available from today on)
- Latin Dictionary, Lewis and Short, 1879.
Old High German
AB, A-B, Ab, or ab can each refer to several things.
AbAb may mean:
- Ab is a Dutch name.
- Ab, the month of August in Arabic
- AB class, a locomotive class operated by the New Zealand Railways Department
- Ab (Egyptian heart-soul concept), the Egyptian concept of the heart-soul
- Abdominal muscles (abbreviated Ab), which are the rectus abdominis or the stomach muscles
- Aktiebolag, Swedish for "corporation," similar to AG, Ltd or Inc, as used in Finland
- Antibody, a medical abbreviation
- Av (month), a month in the Hebrew calendar
- Abbot, in the Christian Church; when the term Ab. follows the name of a Christian saint it denotes that the saint was an Abbot.
- Category of abelian groups
abab may mean:
AB or A-BAB or A-B may mean:
Locations, places, and types of places
- Aberdeen, after which the UK postal area AB is named.
- Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, commonly abbreviated as AB
- Albania (WMO country code)
- Alberta (Canadian Province/Territory Code)
- Air Base, used by the United States Air Force for overseas bases
- Ancienne Belgique, Belgian concert hall located in Brussels
- Anime Boston, an annual three-day anime fan convention held in the spring in Boston, Massachusetts.
Companies, universities, and organizations, groups (and related)
- Aktiebolag, Swedish for "corporation", similar to AG, Ltd or Inc
- Air Berlin, IATA code
- AB Airlines, a defunct British airline
- Anheuser-Busch, the world's third largest brewing company
- Allen-Bradley, manufacturer of industrial control and automation products
- Alderson-Broaddus College, a liberal-arts college in West Virginia
- Alfa-Vita Vassilopoulos, a Greek supermarket chain
- Artium Baccalaureus, Latin for Bachelor of Arts, often abbreviated A.B.
- Aryan Brotherhood, an American gang
- Afrikaner Broederbond, the South African secret society from 1918-1994
- Bachelor of Arts, written in the 19th century as A.B.
Medicine, science, technology, and math
- One of the human blood types in the ABO blood group system
- AB Class amplifier
- Aharonov-Bohm effect arising in a certain experiment of quantum mechanics.
- Abscesses caused by injections, especially heroin injection
- Aquatic Biology, an international scientific journal published by Inter-Research Science Center
Terms for people
- "Able-Bodied", as used by some members of the disabled community
- Able Seaman (occupation), a civilian occupation
- Able Seaman (rank), a naval rank
- Adult Baby, one who engages in infantilism.
- Airman Basic, the lowest rank in the United States Air Force.
- Artium Baccalaureus, Latin for Bachelor of Arts.
- Good Eats host Alton Brown's nickname
Culture, food and history
ab in Czech: AB
ab in Danish: AB
ab in German: AB
ab in Esperanto: Ab
ab in French: Ab
ab in Korean: AB
ab in Italian: AB
ab in Dutch: AB
ab in Japanese: AB
ab in Norwegian: AB
ab in Norwegian Nynorsk: Ab
ab in Polish: AB
ab in Portuguese: AB
ab in Kölsch: AB (Watt ėßß datt?)
ab in Russian: АВ
ab in Slovak: Ab
ab in Slovenian: AB
ab in Finnish: Ab
ab in Swedish: AB